[plug] Static IP Dialup vs ADSL

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 13 12:50:44 WST 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 11:27, Michael Holland wrote:

> > > How about $40/month for westnet ADSL with static IP and 2GB?
> > > They'll unblock all ports if you ask.
> > > Plus $10/month for basic iinet dialup so you can keep the subdomain.

> > How would that work to save the bandwidth consumed by email sent to
> > my subdomain that is within iiNet?

> It wouldn't. Why do you care? This is 2004 and the bandwidth of a text
> list like this is small, even on 56k dialup, (even today :-)

The problem isn't with PLUG's bandwidth requirements.

> The point was that you _can_ get ADSL, with your requirements, cheaper
> than permanent dialup. And then have much bigger quotas. PLUG mail or
> nntp won't even count. "Too cheap to meter".

Ermmm... no. Not without incurring indirect expenses that offset any
"savings".

> > Unless iiNet change their DNS to point one of their subdomains at an
> > IP address within WestNet, I don't see that as being a solution. A
>
> A solution to what problem? It avoids the miniscule 250MB quota.

about me blocking WestNet's email.

> > partial solution at best, because all the MX records for the
> > subdomain would have to point outside iiNet to prevent a huge
> > buildup of emails on their servers if my SMTP server happens to be
> > offline.

> I just don't see that the volume of PLUG list is that big. What is it? A
> few minutes a day on 56k dialup? If you don't want it on the iinet
> servers, then just re-subscribe with your new westnet address. Or gmail.

Subscriptions aren't the problem. It's *published* addresses and
those in registration records.

As for gmail; read the fine print.

> Is your regular (non-list) mail volume too big to forward or POP from
> iinet to your ADSL account?

It's *far* more than the quota unless I'm acting as primary MX.
My estimate is that I'd be receiving well over 5MB of spam and
around 50MB of worms EVERY day at my iiNet subdomain.

> If you are paying for permanent dialup when ADSL is available, I
> think you will find that the economics have changed and its better to
> make the move.

I'd say that you should review what I've written on the PLUG list
over the past 4 or 5 days instead of assuming that I'm an ordinary
luser.

If you look back a little further, you'll find that not only do I
regularly fend off over 1000 spams a day at my SMTP server, but when
vicious worms infect susceptible machines, I get bombarded with over
10,000 attacks per day, attempting to email me worms that vary
between 30 and 250 kilobytes.