[plug] Rant about Windows Networking (or what I did this weekend)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Sep 13 22:25:26 WST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:47, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, skribe wrote:
>> It's official. Windows is shit.

>> I feel better now.

> So now we are a Windows list?

That would make us a shit list. No thanks.

I agree with Skribe.

Windows admins at one place-of-work were totally stumped about a Win2k
Server machine which absolutely refused to return traffic sourced from
the Internet.

*All* of the GUI network settings were perfect; the dawning of
enlightenment (two days later) had to wait until I was in there doing
other stuff, and being the trusting type that I am typed ROUTE PRINT
into the command line to discover that the default route was really to
127.0.0.1 rather than what the GUI said.

Since the box rejected all attempts to change this, they eventually had
to rig a startup script to delete it and assert a working one.

Two full man-days down the tube (which, unsurprisingly, the customer
refused to pay for).

Cheers; Leon