[plug] Dynamic DNS with DHCP - Help Requested.

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Sep 14 15:25:33 WST 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 04:05:41AM +0800, Nathan Manzi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in creating a server for a medium scale lan party - 100-200
> people. I've set up a DHCP and DNS server on an xbox for the LAN, and want
> the DHCP server to be able to add records for each of the DHCP clients,
> e.g. Client grabs an IP, it's hostname then gets added to the zone file,
> and it is then called client1.lan.
>
> If anyone has done this before, and is willing to send me example config
> files, that would be excellent. If anyone knows of a good howto covering
> how to do this, that would be just as good.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you have a read of:
	http://ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html

It covers all the concepts you need.

The main gottcha is not every DHCP client sends the hostname and without
it the DHCP server cannot update the DNS zone.

Yours Tony

        Linux.Conf.AU       http://lca2005.linux.org.au/
        Apr 18-23 2005      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!