[plug] Video camera newbie

Carl Gherardi cgherardi at iprimus.com.au
Tue Sep 14 19:49:17 WST 2004

>>> USB or USB2 is totally useless for video capture it will drop frames
>>> even if you manage to get it to work. This means finding a camera
>>> with a USB port which for video I doubt you will find, still capture
>>> is USB even from a video camera, but video is definitely FIREWIRE /
>>> IEEE1394.
>>>

>> Ive had a few of these type of problems under Mac OS 9.x previously
>> even with firewire.
>>

> Throughput?

Latencies I think, I was transfering a stundents video to the mac for
Final Cut Proing, and on playback later the file would be x minutes
without a problem, then a series of half second skips. Always blamed
that one ont he camera, as I could never trigger it with any others.

>> The video camera has already been purchased - its a jvc gr-d73, and
>> has both usb and firewire ports(and no manual.. so i dont know if its
>> usb 2.0)
>>

> As mentioned in first email firewire will be for transfer of video
> which also compresses it to the DV format and USB will be for still
> captured imagery either on tape, but more than likely some sort of
> memory card or stick.
>
> Not sure of model as it does not register on jvc site.

That site is umm.... frustrating - easier to search it with google.

The still imagery comment I think is right on the mark. Thanks.

>>> I would recommend cinelerra for which Slackware has ports that are
>>> native, but if you are a relative newbie to video or linux it could
>>> be a severe learning curve. On the bright side their is a large
>>> video community whom use linux hence, information scattered over WWW
>>> and newsgroups / mailing lists. Remember google is your friend!
>>>

>> Do you have a couple you frequent/recommend?
>>

> Remember Google is your friend.
>
> http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
> http://cinelerra.org/
> http://www.robfisher.net/video/cinelerra1.html

I like the look of the last one. I might just be able to explain that
doco to my brother :)

Comments sincerely appreciated.

Cheers

Carl