[plug] CommIT 2004

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Sep 17 08:08:25 WST 2004

Day one of this two-day conference was a bit slow, but I'm expecting
this afternoon to be fairly torturous since Perth City has Friday night
shopping and people will tend to visit the expo and then toddle off to
the city.

We did hand out about sixty fliers kindly printed by LinuxIT and funded
by SLPWA, plus another 30 to the ACS rep who wants to hand them out to
all of their members. The flyer is available for inspection here, and
mentions OSIA and LA as well as the two local organisations (the PDF is
small-footprint but pretty horrible):

    http://linux.org.au/~leonb/SLPWA-flyer-CommIT2004.pdf [430kB]
    http://linux.org.au/~leonb/SLPWA-flyer-CommIT2004.ps.gz [2.7MB]
    http://linux.org.au/~leonb/SLPWA-flyer-CommIT2004.sxw [3.4MB]

The font (Toga) has an open licence. Some of the images are copyrighted
by their organisations but the screenshots are fair game. OSWA and LA
get a mention and a "hyperlink" as well as the locals. The clue fairy
lives here:

    http://penguinisto.serverpro2.com/cg_gallery/humor/heres_yer_friggin_clue!.htm

For your convenience, I've included my 3fold-on-A4 OpenOffice
"template"; start typing the front cover in the third frame and keep
right on typing to flow around the cover, across the middle, onto the
flyleaf and then the back cover.

   http://linux.org.au/~leonb/BlankA43fold.sxw [6.5kB]

Skribe did a stirling job of manning the stand ploitely and
informatively yesterday, and I did bump into a number of ancient
acquaintances, including Justin von Perger (http://www.v-biz.net/) and
Andrew Warenczak (http://www.motium.com.au/) for those who remember.

LA's illustrious Treasurer, Mark Tearle, made a cameo appearance along
with the well-known and wideley respected Nick Bannon. We have one
additional SLPWA member out of it so far, possibly two, and at least
three new PLUG members inbound.

One conspicuous absence among the stands is Microsoft, and Cisco is
represented only by a banner on a collective stand mostly occupied by
WAIA. Many exhibitors are Open Source aware, and as of yesterday
afternoon many more are.

The show's being held in the shiny new Conference Centre next to the
freeway, and appears to be the second-ever show there. Minister Clive
Brown opened the festivities, and Little Johnnie (PM) also rolled up,
for which some peace protesters made an appearance.

Might post some pix of the show later, didn't get any of the pollies
(which for Clive is a bit of a pity, he seems to be more clueful,
straightforward and less camera-addict than most pollies).

Cheers; Leon