[plug] [OT] Nit-Picking (was: CommIT Day 2, summary)

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Sun Sep 19 18:30:40 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

>If you think 1-in-50 is "everytime", then I suppose so.

We've had massive threads on this topic before arguing about the nuances
of the english language.  I thought they were over and done with, but
certain people (yourself included - but you aren't the only one) seem to
bring it up over and over again ad nauseum.

I agree with Bret Busby's post(s) recently about the amount of off-topic
material that has been making its way onto this list.  If you want to
nit-pick english, rubbish Microsoft (without any direct link to
Linux/OSS), hand out gmail invites or anything else not directly related
to Linux/OSS in general then it should be taken to the off-topic list.

 From the mailing list page on the PLUG web site
(http://www.plug.org.au/resources/mailing-list):

    We have a separate mailing list for PLUG members to use for
    discussions which are not necessarily of interest to the rest of
    PLUG. It can be a place to rant and rave, debate pedantic points of
    language, discuss non-Linux-related news or even argue about the
    merits of capitalism. Generally, conversations which drift too far
    from any relevance to Linux move to the off-topic list when people
    start complaining.

    To join it, send an e-mail to off-topic-request at plug.linux.org.au
    <mailto:off-topic-request at plug.linux.org.au> containing the word
    subscribe in the subject or body of the message. To leave, send a
    message containing unsubscribe to the same address. You can post to
    it by sending messaegs to off-topic at plug.linux.org.au
    <mailto:off-topic at plug.linux.org.au>.

As you can see there, specifically debating pedantic points of language
is one of the topics that should be directed there.  So if you have
content other than that, sure.. direct that part of your posting to the
plug@ list, but for the sanity of the list direct the rest of the
content of your message pertaining to the discussion of the english
language to the off-topic list.

>>Seriously... nit-picking posts should be taken either off-list or to
>>the off-topic mailing list.
>>

>Well, you didn't take your posting off-list and yours was pure
>nit-pick (you contributed nothing to the matters discussed,
>whereas I provided a link to the product for Linux).

I posted directly to the list rather than going off-list as I think this
situation needs to be dealt with as I'm at least the second person to
complain about this.

/ Ben

P.S.  As a side note, yes I am subscribed to the off-topic list.