Off-topic posts (was: Re: [plug] [OT] Nit-Picking)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Sep 19 18:47:15 WST 2004

Ben Jensz wrote:

> I agree with Bret Busby's post(s) recently about the amount of off-topic
> material that has been making its way onto this list.  If you want to
> nit-pick english, rubbish Microsoft (without any direct link to
> Linux/OSS), hand out gmail invites or anything else not directly related
> to Linux/OSS in general then it should be taken to the off-topic list.

I also agree.  Lately, there has been a heck of a lot more off-topic
material posted to the [plug] list than the off-topic list.

Part of the problem with the OT list, though, is that there aren't
very many subscribers, and in general, there's no way of knowing if
the person you're replying to is going to be on the OT list.  (I'm not
a list admin, so can't give approximate figures for number of
subscribers on plug vs off-topic.)  I'm not sure if there's a good
solution to this, though.  Maybe people should be encouraged to reply
to the original poster and CC the off-topic list on messages which
aren't relevant to PLUG (rather than sticking an [OT] marker in the
subject)?

Cameron.