[plug] [OT] Nit-Picking (was: CommIT Day 2, summary)

Jeffrey Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 19:30:11 WST 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:30:40 +0800, Ben Jensz <plug at jensz.id.au> wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
>

> >If you think 1-in-50 is "everytime", then I suppose so.
> >

> We've had massive threads on this topic before arguing about the nuances
> of the english language.  I thought they were over and done with, but
> certain people (yourself included - but you aren't the only one) seem to
> bring it up over and over again ad nauseum.

if i may, to be fair to James, i think a certain amount of nit-picking
about the English language is needed and in well order. While some of
the other stuff that u mentioned ("rubbish Microsoft (without any
direct link to Linux/OSS), hand out gmail invites or anything else not
directly related to Linux/OSS in general") is not, talking about the
English language is a bit like talking about the nuances of protocols.
We all have to make sure that we stick to at least some basic proper
rules dont we? if not, how could we carry on with the actual business
of _actually talking about Linux/OSS itself_?

a certain amount is necessary - for the sake of proper communication
for us all. Let's not forget the good in James' posts as well.

no flames pls - or i will have to learn how to juggle flaming balls now.

-jf