[plug] [OT] Nit-Picking (was: CommIT Day 2, summary)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Sep 19 19:18:08 WST 2004

In message <414D5FD0.6060507 at jensz.id.au>
on Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:30:40PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> We've had massive threads on this topic before arguing about the
> nuances of the english language.  I thought they were over and done
> with, but certain people (yourself included - but you aren't the only
> one) seem to bring it up over and over again ad nauseum...I think this
> situation needs to be dealt with

I think the massive threads were about word origins and phrase origins
-- admittedly off-topic. There have been shorter subthreads about
posters whose postings are obscure or whose misspellings can prevent
Google from doing its job. If people were to avoid doing those things
ad nauseum in the first place, I imagine the subthreads would not be
brought up ad nauseum in response.

In message <d12e5c904091903372bea6a7e at mail.gmail.com>
on Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:37:33PM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> it really is very anti-social to post such corrections to the entire
> list.

I realise it's been suggested that there are ways to introduce
small corrections *discretely* and that brevity cause offence (this
is something I forget). I had been brief in my earlier post because
I hadn't seen the need to dwell on embellishment.

In message <1095590757.2823.3.camel at localhost>
on Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:45:58PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> The problem is that I'm almost afraid to write anything lest I am
> humiliated and made to look weak of mind due my communication flaws.

Are you being honest there?

In message <1095590757.2823.3.camel at localhost>
on Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:45:58PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> Kind of like getting punched or "slagged" on in high school if you say
> something that the general mob don't agree with. You quickly learn to
> not say anything at all.

Should I feel the same way about your post, then?