[plug] ATO online and Linux compatibility

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Sep 21 12:45:02 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 12:25, Newton, Ty wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I will do some preliminary investigation on the ECI application and get
> back to you with a sensible response.  Can you tell me about your
> Linux/Java installation so I can put together a test system that is as
> close as possible to yours.

I heard something about the ECI client being replaced with a web client
but I don't know much about this. It isn't specifically the ECI client
that I'm tied to and i'll be happily use whatever the ATO is planning to
implement.

At present I don't even have Java installed on my Linux machine. I do
have an important project I will be working on over the next 2 days so
might not be able to help with this right now but I should be able to
answer most of your questions via e-mail or on the list.

I'm running Debian Linux (Sid or "unstable" branch) with the 2.6.7
kernel.

Did you want any details about the existing Windows machine?
> What is your technical expertise level?

That's a good question. I'm not as advanced as many of the people on the
PLUG list but I fix people computer problems for a living and run Linux
as a desktop at home.

> Are you willing to assist in the process of getting the software to
> work: evaluating beta versions, giving feedback, giving notes on how you
> get the software setup on your system, etc?

OK but I need to stress that serving my customers comes first. I will
help but probably only when I am free.