[plug] Samba server weirdness- uploads work, downloads don't

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Sep 21 17:32:15 WST 2004

Rennie wrote:

| Cameron Patrick wrote:
|
|> I have a Samba server which is playing up.  I can upload files to
|> it, but can't download files from it.  Downloading either stalls
|> with no data transferred, or stalls after downloading a file of
|> the right length but with a bunch of binary goop at the start of
|> it.  This same behaviour occurs when the client is various
|> versions of Samba, KDE Konqueror and Windows Explorer on XP.
|> (The latter crashed entirely when trying to copy a file.)
|>
|> I've looked in /etc/samba/smb.conf, and it looks essentially
|> identical to two working machines (except for the share
|> definitions pointing to different locations).  I tried upgrading
|> samba to the latest version in Debian unstable, and reinstalling
|> every samba-related package I could see, but nothing seems to
|> have helped.
|>
|> It's not a straight network problem, tcpspray and ssh work fine
|> to this machine, even for large transfers.
|>
|> Any suggestions on other things to try?
|>
|> Cameron. _______________________________________________ PLUG
|> discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au
|> Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au
|>

| Debian Testing? Samba 3.0.6-3? I've had the same issue. I thought
| it might be some thing to do with WinXP SP2 but was never able to
| pin it down.
|
| Sorry, I'm no help, but I'm pretty sure my Debian system was also
| behaving in the manner you described.

I've also had a similar problem that was never resolved. It only
happened with windows boxes and a particular Linux box (Debian). I
have had the problem with various installs of Debian. I was only
running 2.6 for a few days before I had a hdd corruption so didn't get
to test it with a 2.6 kernel. My current install won't download off a
windoz box to a Linux box over samba but from the windows box I can
download off the Linux server fine. If you have a network activity
monitor running you may notice that it peaks and the break between
peaks gets longer and longer. (I think each peak is a few packets as
using ethereal each peak corresponded  with a few packets.)
If you find a fix tell us. I will be upgrading to 2.6 soon.
Tim