[plug] Load (overloading...)

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Sep 21 20:28:38 WST 2004

Being the bored Year 12 student that I am I decided to see how much
impact a couple of hundred, cpu intensive, processes would do. While
playing around I noticed that the load meter on my gnome bar was getting
higher than I had ever seen. It actually got to 100% but that seems to
be a lie. As further testing revealed some staggering load numbers.
After being used to a load of .6 to 2.5 I thought that I must be around
5 or something. Not so according to /proc/loadavg and uptime. So after
writing a few scripts that would allow me to continually spawn processor
intensive processes simulatenously, and monitor the load, number of
these particular process, etc... and a 'relief valve' so that I could
return my system to its current 0.65 loadavg, I discovered to my horror
that I could load the system way beyond my expectations.
So what exactly is load? Well I orginately thought it was a percentage
similar to CPU usage but I'm not to sure anymore.
What is the maximum load? That I also do not know.
During my testing the loadavg got to 232.64, with 234 CPU intensive
processes. From this I could infer that the loadavg is the # of active
processes. Would I be correct?
Just looking for some enlightenment and showing off what my 667Mhz P3
can do[1].
BTW, I was very impressed with the way linux handeled the system under
such high load. I could still use terminals fine (X was a little bit
touch but still running) the slowest part was actually starting the
screen session at login (due to my .bashrc automatically opening a
screen session)

Tim
[1] I had seen people talking about servers with high loads and the
numbers where VERY small compared to mine