[plug] Setting up a wireless netowrk

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 23 14:30:47 WST 2004

In message <415267EB.4050501 at jensz.id.au>
on Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 02:06:35PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=premises:
>   1. *premises*
>         1. Land and the buildings on it.
>         2. A building or part of a building.
> So the established meaning of "premises" would be that it is the
> property or location that a business or individual(s) reside(s).  So
> anyway, I think we all know what it means.. it means that you aren't
> allowed to share the internet connection with computers that aren't
> located at a single property.

The above definition encapsulates the ambiguities in an obvious way
(e.g. are individual dwellings and buildings considered to be individual
premises or are all buildings on connected land part of the same
premises?). If a number of tenants live in a block of flats, and they
already share various utilities like sewerage, TV aerial, etc., are the
residents allowed or not allowed to share the WestNet connection? (You
would have to consider two cases: one where the contract is with the
owner of a whole block of flats and one where the contract is with the
occupant or owner of an individual flat.) It sounds as though if you are
renting a flat/house with someone and you have a contract with WestNet,
it should be okay to share your Internet connection with the others who
live in bedrooms whose hallways connect with your own, but if you are
sharing a building that is subdivided into flats, clause 2.6 leaves it
ambiguous as to who could share what.