[plug] New PLUG news server

Cameron Patrick cameron at cp.yi.org
Tue Sep 28 21:55:30 WST 2004

Hi all,

As you may have gathered from past posts to this mailing list, there has
been some interest in setting up a PLUG NNTP server.  Well, now we
actually have one, and it seems to mostly work.

To access it, you need to point your news client at news.plug.org.au.  You
will need to log in to be able to access it (to prevent spammers from
harvesting e-mail addresses).  Your username is the e-mail address that
you have subscribed to the PLUG list with, and your password is your
Mailman password.  (We will probably provide some way of obtaining an
account without subscribing to the list later.)

If you have forgotten (or never received) your Mailman password, you can
have it e-mailed to you by going to

and entering your e-mail address, choosing "unsubscribe or edit options"
and then "password reminder".

The available newsgroups are:

 * plug.list: messages posted to the PLUG list appear here and vice versa
 * plug.rant: likewise, for the off-topic at plug list
 * plug.test: for testing :-)

Thanks to Bernd Felsche for supplying us with the hardware, and Ryan Smith
and Bernard Blackham for helping me set up the software.

Cheers,

Cameron.