[plug] New PLUG news server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 09:08:13 WST 2004

James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> writes:

>In article <o5fo22x2h4.ln2 at innovative.iinet.net.au>, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> (nntp over TLS/SSL) for those who don't like sending passwords in
>> clear text.

>Not forgetting, though, that all Mailman operations (including periodic
>password reminders) are done in the clear, so everone should consider
>the current passwords to be nominal rather than sacrosanct.

Shhh... don't frighten the children. :-)

I've thought of "handing out" one-time passwords by other means, so
that the passwords can be discarded after firt use and therefore
left clear for ordinary protocols. The main problem arises from how
to synch them between client and server in an easy way; transparent
to the user.