[plug] New PLUG news server

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 09:48:52 WST 2004

In message <ragp22xha9.ln2 at innovative.iinet.net.au>
on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:39:07AM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> The whole archive? I hope not. Maybe a week's worth. Remember that
> it's a newsgroup server; not an oldsgroup server. :-)

Argh! Only a week's worth? That's not very nice! For a start, it means
that if you read a thread at time y when it started at time x, they your
newsreader will be unable to reconstruct the thread and you will be
unable to review the parent articles (which you might have ignored
earlier in your life). This means you have to resort to using the web
archives and replying out-of-band. Likewise, if you are away for two
weeks' break and you disabled your mail subscription, you will be unable
to enjoy reviewing the fortnight with your news reader.