[plug] Time to install SuSE 9.1 pro from DVD?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 10:26:30 WST 2004

Rod <lavo at mac.com> writes:

>Just a quick question for those who have installed SuSE 9.1 Pro.  I
>have an AMD 64 2800+ with a DVD-ROM/CDRW drive and an A08 DVD-RW
>drive.  I have tried installing both the 64 bit and 32 bit
>versions.

Took about half an hour on my laptop. (Athlon64)

You may have a hardware issue, perhaps inadequate RAM. If you didn't
set up a mirror RAID during install, then there's not other reason.

>Both DVDs boot fine, and have no trouble in getting up to the
>install screen.  Once all the options are selected, I click to
>start installing and that's where the fun begins (btw, they are new
>installs as the drive is clean).  I'm installing about 4Gb worth of
>software.  The 64 bit version takes about 2 hours to get to 3%
>installed, whereas the 32 bit version takes about 2 hours to get to
>30% installed.  During the install, both DVDs are spinning up and
>down quite frequently, and the same result happens in both optical
>drives.

Check your hardware. Although the DVD is accessed intermittently (on
each package), the hard drive should be "filling the gap" most of
the time... some very large packages (e.g. kernel source) take time
to crunch.

Did you look at the slide-show during installation or click on the
details button?

You can also change to a text screen (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F2) while the
install is running (Linux is used to install Linux) and run "top" to
show you the processes that are running and their CPU utilisation.

Change back to the installation GUI by pressing CTRL-ALT-F7