[plug] New PLUG news server

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 13:36:49 WST 2004

In message <bdtp22x5jb.ln2 at innovative.iinet.net.au>
on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 01:22:19PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> >How do I reconcile this 60-year expiry with Bernd's complaint that
> >keeping large numbers of messages (e.g. even years' worth) is going
> >to cause "delays" for people?
> It's not a complaint. It's a heads-up.

As a point of English, I would say that your statements about delays are
complaints.

> I did tell you about the 68-year (24,800 day) expiry. in an earlier
> posting.

Yes. I think you even went so far as to say that you were the one who
set it up like that. And I did not know how to reconcile this long
expiry with your complaint about "delays". Your arguments are geared
towards the suggestion that these "delays" will manifest themselves and
be undesirable, yet at the same time you appeared to tell us that you'd
set us up for delays in the future. These words and actions seemed
contradictory to me, hence my confusion.

> You seem more interested in arguing.

Only to the extent that you do. If you are wanting to suggest that I am
"arguing" without backing up my arguments with "contributions", remember
that I offered quite blatantly to participate in setting up this news
system. You and the committee chose to buy, configure and host the
systems yourselves, which is your prerogative, but leaves me with less
room for contribution. I would have been happy to investigate matters
more concretely myself, but the details and access levels for the new
server were incomplete when given to me anyway.