[plug] New PLUG news server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 13:22:19 WST 2004

James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> writes:

>In message <20040929041914.GG27190 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
>on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:19:14PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
>> > archives and replying out-of-band. Likewise, if you are away
>> > for two weeks' break and you disabled your mail subscription,
>> > you will be unable to enjoy reviewing the fortnight with your
>> > news reader.

>> No.  Currently the article expiry for plug.* is set to 60 years
>> or thereabouts, so future posts won't be affected.

>How do I reconcile this 60-year expiry with Bernd's complaint that
>keeping large numbers of messages (e.g. even years' worth) is going
>to cause "delays" for people?

It's not a complaint. It's a heads-up.

I did tell you about the 68-year (24,800 day) expiry. in an earlier
posting. You seem more interested in arguing.

>> If we get disc space pressure or speed issues on shameless, we may
>> have to look into changing this, but for the moment I don't see the
>> point in expiring old posts.

>Phew, thanks.

>> I'm also content to sit back and let the newsgroups populate
>> themselves with new messages from the list, unless there's a pressing
>> reason why I should feed the mail archives into the news server?

>For completeness, accuracy and thread construction the old articles
>should be there. If you're content to keep decades of archives, the
>past seven should be no problem.

Maybe you can find the 1934,ff PLUG archives.

Going by present volume, that'd be in the vicinity of 10^8 articles
by about 2060.

Oh yeah; one gotcha still in leafnode2; the References header is
limited to 1024 bytes. Deep threads will break.