[plug] New PLUG news server

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 16:22:19 WST 2004

In message <20040929080919.GB20665 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:09:19PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> That didn't work - the second copy of the message wasn't accepted by
> leafnode.  It said
>
>     441 435 Duplicate, article not posted.
[...]
In message <20040929081032.GC20665 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:10:32PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Note that any messages that are actually cross-posted to multiple PLUG
> lists will arrive at newspost at shameless as separate messages with no
> Newsgroups: header at all.

I guess this is one area where NNTP gating might be more successful than
the current SMTP-based process. I realise that the SMTP process has its
own advantages. I wonder if Mailman's gating is able to deal with this
and, if it is, whether you are able to glean anything helpful from its
code. (But, even if Mailman were able to do it, I assume it wouldn't
really work for us since off-topic is a SmartList.)

FYI it might be news at shameless now (both were apparently subscribed
overnight sometime, but only one appears to remain).

In message <20040929081114.GA23718 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:11:14PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:07:32PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> > Also, the header is coming through in lowercase ('newsgroups'
> > instead of 'Newsgroups'), I think.
> Also the fault of the posting script.  It claims it's necessary
> according to some RFC :-/

Wah?