[plug] New PLUG news server

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Sep 29 16:31:41 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> I guess this is one area where NNTP gating might be more successful than
> the current SMTP-based process. I realise that the SMTP process has its
> own advantages.

?? I don't quite follow you.  Both SMTP and NNTP are involved in this:
when messages arrive (via SMTP) at newspost@, they are uploaded via
NNTP to the appropriate news group.

> FYI it might be news at shameless now (both were apparently subscribed
> overnight sometime, but only one appears to remain).

Ahh, yes.  Mail sent to news at shameless ends up being delivered to the
newspost account anyway (look in /etc/aliases).  We did this because
when leafnode sends a message posted to plug.* to the moderator
address (which is set to the list address), it sends it with an
envelope from of <news at shameless.plug.org.au>; so news at shameless needs
to be allowed to post to the list.

> > > Also, the header is coming through in lowercase ('newsgroups'
> > > instead of 'Newsgroups'), I think.
> > Also the fault of the posting script.  It claims it's necessary
> > according to some RFC :-/
>
> Wah?

It's a rather disturbing Python script.  I've already had to make
quite a few changes to it to make it work.

The code in question is:

  # Some header names require special casing per the RFC.
  n = string.capitalize (n)
  cased_headers = {
    'Message-id'      : 'Message-ID',
    'Relay-version'   : 'Relay-Version',
    'Posting-version' : 'Posting-Version',
    'Reply-to'        : 'Reply-To',
    'In-reply-to'     : 'In-Reply-To',
    'Followup-to'     : 'Followup-To',
    'Date-received'   : 'Date-Received',
    'Newsgroups'      : 'newsgroups',
    'Content-type'    : 'Content-Type',
    'Content-transfer-encoding' : 'Content-Transfer-Encoding',
    }
  if n in cased_headers.keys ():
    n = cased_headers[n]

Cameron.