[plug] New PLUG news server

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Sep 29 17:41:35 WST 2004

Bernd Felsche wrote:

>>> I'm hashing out a (ghastly procmailrc) fix in the plug.test and
>>> plug.test.too groups; when that's working I'll apply it to plug.list
>>> and plug.rant too.
>
>>That didn't work - the second copy of the message wasn't accepted by
>>leafnode.  It said
>
>>    441 435 Duplicate, article not posted.
>
> Approve once, post to all.

That would involve holding messages back for a while (e.g. 10 minutes)
to see if another copy of the message comes in with the same
Message-ID.  Unless there's a better way?  (Maybe delete the old post
and re-post with a new Newsgroups: heading... Can you delete newsgroup
posts easily?)

Also, there was a recent post from Chris Caston that "bounced" and
didn't make its way to the news group.  The procmail log:

>From plug-bounces at plug.linux.org.au  Wed Sep 29 16:34:50 2004
 Subject: Re: [plug] New PLUG news server
  Folder: /home/newspost/newspost.py -s localhost -p 119 -U newspost -
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/newspost/newspost.py", line 223, in ?
    raise message
nntplib.NNTPTemporaryError: 441 Invalid header "Message-ID:
<1096446827.2873.14.camel at localhost>", article not posted

I believe it's not happy with the @localhost part.  From reading the
source, Leafnode requires the message-id domain to have a ".", not
start with "localhost", not start with "127.0.0." and not be
"linux.local".

Cameron.