[plug] New PLUG news server

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Sep 29 18:02:57 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> Should we create a new newsgroup to discuss the news server,
> or take this to plug.test?? Can we cross-post ;-)

Hmph.  Not yet.  I'm going to experiment with cancelling news posts and
see if I can get the newspost script to:

 - strip Message-IDs if leafnode thinks they're a problem
 - if leafnode complains about duplicate messages, cancel the original
   post and post the message again with the new list appended to the
   Newsgroups: headers
 - possibly do other stuff (I'll look through nntpd.c and see what else
   leafnode might potentially complain about :-P)

> I wonder if Mailman can do any Message-ID filtering. If Mailman were
> to replace the problematic Message-IDs, that would uniformly and
> simultaneously solve the problem for both the mailing list and the
> newsgroups, if I understand your processes correctly.

That's also my understanding.  But you're the mailman guru ;-)

Cameron.