[plug] New PLUG news server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 18:54:48 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> writes:

>>>That didn't work - the second copy of the message wasn't accepted by
>>>leafnode.  It said

>>>    441 435 Duplicate, article not posted.

>> Approve once, post to all.

>That would involve holding messages back for a while (e.g. 10 minutes)

10 minutes? Don't the mail messages inherently arrive in a queue?
Is the processing single-threaded?

>to see if another copy of the message comes in with the same
>Message-ID.  Unless there's a better way?  (Maybe delete the old post
>and re-post with a new Newsgroups: heading... Can you delete newsgroup
>posts easily?)

In theory; send a cancel message. IIRC, not implemented under
leafnode. Supersedes works better with leafnode2.

But to supersede, you must have a different article ID.

>Also, there was a recent post from Chris Caston that "bounced" and

Typical trouble-maker! :-)

>didn't make its way to the news group.  The procmail log:

>>From plug-bounces at plug.linux.org.au  Wed Sep 29 16:34:50 2004
> Subject: Re: [plug] New PLUG news server
>  Folder: /home/newspost/newspost.py -s localhost -p 119 -U newspost -
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/home/newspost/newspost.py", line 223, in ?
>    raise message
>nntplib.NNTPTemporaryError: 441 Invalid header "Message-ID:
><1096446827.2873.14.camel at localhost>", article not posted

>I believe it's not happy with the @localhost part.  From reading the
>source, Leafnode requires the message-id domain to have a ".", not
>start with "localhost", not start with "127.0.0." and not be
>"linux.local".

Those rules apply because the articles have to have a unique ID. If
you allow either, there's a finite probability that you'll get a
collision and failed posting. The leafnode bits are an extension of
the RFC.

I'm surprised that a mailing list manager allow that behaviour
because it can also distress threading in email.