[plug] dvd ripping

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Sep 30 12:54:57 WST 2004

Adam Hewitt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It has been a while since I used linux on my desktop and I am
> concidering going back to a dual boot system (I ran Debian on my desktop
> for about 2 years but nuked it when I came back to Perth and people
> wanted me to come to their LAN parties).
>
> I recently got a DVD Burner and I have been...um..."backing up" my
> DVD's, using DVD Decrypter, Pinnicle InstantCopy 8 (for DVD9 -> DVD5),
> PDItoISO, and Nero. Except for one case, this combo has produced
> excellent quality backups. My question is what is available nowadays
> that can do the above and how does the quality compare? I read quite a
> number of reviews which compared the top 6 (?) recoding software before
> settling on InstantCopy due to the excellent quality.

vobcopy and dvdshrink under wine. (Actually, I'm running dvdshrink under XP under QEMU. It's slowish
  - 3 hours for a good shrink but it works perfectly).

growisofs for burning.

vobcopy still has a bug (patches submitted to author) where if it detects bad sectors on the disk it
still silently writes out corrupt vob files.

When ripping from a console you can see the errors spew forth from the kernel, but when ripping from
an xterm you just get corrupt images. (don't ask me how I know. dvd's in Perth and images and owner
now 8500km away!)

It works a treat. I have about 310 dvd images here I watch with xine and I can burn them to dvd-rw
for watching on the plane or in the hotel room when I travel.

Brad