[plug] OT: Mobile reception boost

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Apr 5 17:27:28 WST 2005

Carl Gherardi wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I'm about to get on the phone and do some research into how I can
>boost the mobile phone reception in my home.
>
>I live in a mobile dead spot, but can get clear reception out the
>front of my house, and while standing on a 2 foot wall limestone in my
>back garden(!). When my phone is inside people calling me get the 'out
>of mobile range' response for aboiut 95% of calls, making my mobile
>almost useless. (note I live in East Vic Park, not in the sticks
>somewhere)
>
>I have a hunch that the building materials of my house affect this directly.
>
>Has anyone hit this previoiusly and investigated a solution such as an
>antenae of some sort?

Well, I have a similar problem, travelling out and about and coming
across all manner of interesting levels of coverage. As others have
suggested, external antennas and boosters are available. I've
investigated a few, not actually purchased any just yet, but these guys
look pretty promising:

    http://www.alternativewireless.com/

This afternoon I also thought of another way of solving the problem, by
putting my phone into the car and in it's car-kit and external antenna
and use a blue-tooth ear piece to answer the phone.

At the moment I'm going one step further and investigating if I can use
my local Asterisk PBX to manage my phone, so it can sit in the car and I
can use a cordless phone to answer calls and call out. I'll let you know
how that goes...

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S25°34'41" - E152°35'34" (Graham's Creek, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..