[plug] firefox bug?

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 23:13:12 WST 2005

Well, you were right, it was flash after all.

I had the flashblock extension installed and it was crashing on every
page that had flash once I checked, however, only when I clicked on
the animations. Once again it was just coincedence that made me think
it was a bug.

I had just told my hosemates that they could use my computer to use
abiword and surf the net. And /hurray/ both firefox, and abiword are
suddenly not working. Why is it that it's never one thing broken at a
time?

Linux has only ever crashed a couple of times on me (outside of
actually installing) and all those times have been when I try to show
someone how great it is. Such is life.

Aaaaaaaaand, solution.

It turns out that firefox was crashing due to having

Section "Extensions"
   Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

in my xorg.conf

I was playing around with it a couple of days ago, and while awesome,
it's just too slow for my poor radeon with the current drivers when
xcompmgr is running. One `#` later, and everything is good again.

Thanks for testing my hypothesis anyhow.

(PS. sorry for the duplicate email Arie)