[plug] [OT] PDF Conversions

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 8 09:00:37 WST 2005

Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> writes:

>I understand that you are attempting to modify a printable file.
>Presumably you're attempting to do something like a mail-merge, but
>playing with the output which you have in PostScript.

>My advise would be to generate the content separately, then merge the two

There are indeed tools to "overlay" postscript files on top of each
other. The original can be a PDF -- but transformed back to PS.

I've used LaTeX in the past to generate invoices; simply because
LaTeX provides such a comprehensive resource for automagic layout of
documents. Any EPS could be placed anywhere on the form; even under
text.

Another time, I produced a complex form for layout and simply
over-printed mail-merge information in the correct location. That
saved me a lot of time as the only printer I had at the time was an
inkjet, and I could make the 100+ photocopies of the form in a few
minutes. The master took 4 or 5 minutes to print on the inkjet. The
mail-merge still took about an hour due to the details required.

There are so many ways to solve a problem... but you will never
see a solution if you're deeply entrenched in one possible way.