[plug] [OT] Possible fire hazard

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 14:42:57 WST 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 2:36 PM, Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 14:31 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
>
> > Anyone who can give me the name and contact details of who to approach
> > to set this person right. (Not that I think she'll ever be set right -
> > I've told her twice, and the owner says he's told her that they are data
> > cables, but they become "electrical cables" and become a fire hazard
> > AGAIN)
>
> It sounds to me like you just found a very good reason to upgrade to
> fibre :-P
>
> More seriously, they are electrical cables really. The fact that they
> carry vastly less power than a phone cable (or at least operate at a
> lower voltage - not sure what the current is like in an Ethernet cable,
> but I imagine minimal), let alone a power cable, does kind of make it
> pointless though.
>
> Maybe you should just explain that they're like phone cables for
> computers to talk to each other over? "Data cable," "ethernet", etc is
> likely to go "woosh" over some people's heads.
>
> It's also possible the agent just wants to be rid of you / wants to make
> trouble and is looking for excuses, no matter how dumb. It wouldn't be
> the first time such a thing has happened.

If they were shop bought (or made by a telco approved guy) and they're
being used in the manner of which they were designed to be used then
there is NOTHING she can do about it.
Tell her to "bash" it.
(estate agents tick me off.)

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"The thing Ubuntu means to me is, I'm glad I didn't get a Debian