[plug] [OT] Possible fire hazard

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Apr 8 14:36:45 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 14:31 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:

> Anyone who can give me the name and contact details of who to approach
> to set this person right. (Not that I think she'll ever be set right -
> I've told her twice, and the owner says he's told her that they are data
> cables, but they become "electrical cables" and become a fire hazard
> AGAIN)

It sounds to me like you just found a very good reason to upgrade to
fibre :-P

More seriously, they are electrical cables really. The fact that they
carry vastly less power than a phone cable (or at least operate at a
lower voltage - not sure what the current is like in an Ethernet cable,
but I imagine minimal), let alone a power cable, does kind of make it
pointless though.

Maybe you should just explain that they're like phone cables for
computers to talk to each other over? "Data cable," "ethernet", etc is
likely to go "woosh" over some people's heads.

It's also possible the agent just wants to be rid of you / wants to make
trouble and is looking for excuses, no matter how dumb. It wouldn't be
the first time such a thing has happened.

--
Craig Ringer