[plug] ethernet cards and their settings/throughput

Chris Griffin griffinster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:35:43 WST 2005

OK, I know this has been talked about before but,
I have two systems connected together with a 1Gb cat 6 crossover
cable, I have tried all sorts of settings (ethtool) and the best I can
get is about 24 Mb. I am running RedHat (oops, better make that Fedora
3). One end is an Athlon 1.2GHz the other an Athlon XP 3200+.
I figure I should get a lot better than this. Any hints?
BTW, I find that ethtool does not work that well, I seem to have to
issue successive commands (followed by ethtool eth0 to see what it
actuall set it to) in order to get to the setting I wanted, almost as
though each try skips to the next setting combination and rolls around
to the start again.

Chris G