[plug] ethernet cards and their settings/throughput

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 9 07:09:21 WST 2005

check both machines for shared interrupts (i.e., make sure they do not
share with the graphics card in particular.)

Perhaps someone with access to a GB ethernet system can give a tool and
typical figures?

With 10M and 100M, I typically see transfer rates of 1/10 when
everything is working satisfactorily using scp.   My current cheap
switch seems to allow only 1/2 to 2/3 that (100M cat 5, 4-6M/s scp, 1-2
meter cables though one system is only a heavily loaded 500M K6)

BillK

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 23:35 +0800, Chris Griffin wrote:
> OK, I know this has been talked about before but,
> I have two systems connected together with a 1Gb cat 6 crossover
> cable, I have tried all sorts of settings (ethtool) and the best I can
> get is about 24 Mb. I am running RedHat (oops, better make that Fedora
> 3). One end is an Athlon 1.2GHz the other an Athlon XP 3200+.
> I figure I should get a lot better than this. Any hints?
> BTW, I find that ethtool does not work that well, I seem to have to
> issue successive commands (followed by ethtool eth0 to see what it
> actuall set it to) in order to get to the setting I wanted, almost as
> though each try skips to the next setting combination and rolls around
> to the start again.
>
> Chris G

Home!