[plug] Debian laptop results

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Apr 9 16:55:51 WST 2005

G'day all,

Having just completed my first clean Debian install in about 6 years onto my shiny new Dell Latitude
D600 Laptop I thought I'd just knock out a quick post with WOW!

My company requires it's XP based SOE, but after a quick Partition Magic we made room for a shiny
new Debian install.

Grabbed the latest Sarge Net-install with the new installer -rc3 and away we went.
Install proceeded with no hitches, installed Grub, configured the XP partition into the boot menu
and boom we are away.

The two bits of hardware that did not get configured by default are the Internal Modem and IPW2200
WiFi card. After downloading the latest 2.6.12-rc1 kernel and ipw2200 drivers we have WiFi (Talk
about a dead easy install!), and the modem I'll get to sometime in the future (I don't use a modem
anymore).

Colour me Impressed. I believe the internal USB bluetooth device is supported also (No bluetooth
device to test it with).

I'm also wrapped with the way the new Debian installer handles its partition management and basic
installation tasks. Neat, clean and efficient. If I was doing a complete newbie install onto a clean
hard disk it would be even easier.

Brad