[plug] Getting Started with LDAP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Apr 21 15:01:42 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 13:57 +0800, Timothy White wrote:

> > Just modify to taste then:
> >
> > # slapadd < the_ldif_file
> >
> > then verify with slapcat.
> Ok, so how can I clear the LDAP directory so i can start from scratch?

Find the database files and delete them or move them aside, then
re-start slapd. Mine are in /var/lib/ldap but the path is defined in
slapd.conf anyway. For example,

# /etc/init.d/slapd stop
# mkdir /tmp/olddb
# mv /var/lib/ldap/* /tmp/olddb
# /etc/init.d/slapd start

> Anyone want to come to the workshop on Monday and help? I'm really
> disliking the LDAP setup but want to get it working,

It's apallingly documented, but really not that bad once you get the
hang of it - and *extremely* useful.

You should probably check out PHPLdapAdmin. I haven't tried it yet but
I've seen it used at UWA to get some nice results.

Also - did you find my previous posts (see: PLUG archives) about LDAP
etc to be of any use?

> I really want Debian or Ubuntu to just provide a nice and easy to
> follow HOWTO with step by step and sample data to get a basic setup
> working (bonus if it shows how to get NSS or PAM working with LDAP as
> well.)

Maybe you should provide Debian or Ubuntu with one once you get the hang
of it?

--
Craig Ringer