[plug] Getting Started with LDAP

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 15:11:53 WST 2005

On 4/21/05, Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> > Ok, so how can I clear the LDAP directory so i can start from scratch?
>
> Find the database files and delete them or move them aside, then
> re-start slapd. Mine are in /var/lib/ldap but the path is defined in
> slapd.conf anyway. For example,
Ok, found that out and that seemed to work.

> > Anyone want to come to the workshop on Monday and help? I'm really
> > disliking the LDAP setup but want to get it working,
>
> It's apallingly documented, but really not that bad once you get the
> hang of it - and *extremely* useful.
Thats why I want to get the hang of it.

> You should probably check out PHPLdapAdmin. I haven't tried it yet but
> I've seen it used at UWA to get some nice results.
Will do

> Also - did you find my previous posts (see: PLUG archives) about LDAP
> etc to be of any use?
So far I havn't got to the stage of using it to do the auth for the
network. I'll probably look at your post in more depth when I get past
the basics. I am trying to use directory_adminstrator but as
mentioned, it wants things running before using it.

> > I really want Debian or Ubuntu to just provide a nice and easy to
> > follow HOWTO with step by step and sample data to get a basic setup
> > working (bonus if it shows how to get NSS or PAM working with LDAP as
> > well.)
>
> Maybe you should provide Debian or Ubuntu with one once you get the hang
> of it?
Yer, If I can get it working then I will. Cause my pain shouldn't have
to be felt by all. We don't want every sys admin going bald early,
heck I'm not even 18 yet ;)

I've discovered also that the base DN (dc=white,dc=lan) actually needs
to resolve to the computer running the ldap. So nice to disocover
this. I'm now debating if I just set white.lan to resolve to the new
server or use ldap.white.lan. This was something I didn't find in a
tutorial so for those also pulling hair, that appears to be mistake
one.
Oh well, clear database, reconfigure, start again.

Tim