[plug] Web Page Editing

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Apr 21 15:04:53 WST 2005

Benjamin Woods wrote:

>I need to make a webpage for my portfolio for a unit at uni (UWA: Computer
>Vision 412). I have made many webpages before, but that was before i became a
>linux user. I used dreamweaver and then edited the html manually to make minor
>corrections.

As a web developer I'd like to point out that using plain vanilla HTML
and CSS is these days the best way to proceed. I find that if you write
up your page as semantic entities, that is make <div> for containers and
structure your data, your pages will become very simple to maintain and
the CSS will give you visual control.

WYSIWYG is a bit of an over-used concept because in web-terms there
really isn't such a beast because the whole point is that you are
displaying content in a device independent way.

Of late I've been using the web-developer extension under Firefox, which
allows you to load your plain vanilla HTML, then attach a style sheet
and tweak on the fly.

Finally, if all of this is pretty new to you, I recommend that you look
at the http://www.csszengarden.com/ for some idea on what is possible
with very vanilla HTML and smart CSS.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S25°34'41" - E152°35'34" (Graham's Creek, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..