[plug] Getting Started with LDAP

simon simon at plumtek.com
Thu Apr 21 15:10:21 WST 2005

Timothy White (weirdit at gmail.com) wrote:

> I really want Debian or Ubuntu to just provide a nice and easy to
> follow HOWTO with step by step and sample data to get a basic setup
> working (bonus if it shows how to get NSS or PAM working with LDAP as
> well.)

Yeh, good luck with that :)

Youve yet to discover that there are no good application specific tools for
managing ldap directories :)

I managed to get LDAP/PAM/SMB/phpgroupware/imap etc working in harmony (all
authenticating against the ldap server), but there was a lot of hacking,
sweat, tears, gnashing of teeth and exasperation along the way..... Its worth
doing tho, because LDAP is interesting and useful enough to warrant the pain,
and I always learn best when things go wrong :)

Perhaps when I next set up in the same manner Ill write the document - but
then people wont get the opportunity to have the 'fun' I had :)

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com
mob: 0409113359