[plug] dns entry

simon simon at plumtek.com
Fri Apr 22 15:45:07 WST 2005

It sounds like you need to consider forwarding the VPN connections through the
gateway... if your internal server doesnt have a public IP then DNS wont help
you. So forward the correct protocols/ports through the gateway to the
internal machine, and from the remote location connect to the gateway's public
IP......

Maybe Ive misunderstood the problem?

Jon L. Miller (jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au) wrote:

> I need a little help in sorting out an entry in dns.
> I have an application that runs on a linux server on the local lan which sits behind a
> firewall.  I need to access this server from a vpn connection from a remote location.
> Having an entry to this server in our dns zone only looks at the main gateway server
> which is not where the service is located nor is it on any of the servers in the DMZ..
> So my question is how can I acccess the application and have the dns address the
> correct server.  The DNS entries in the one zone is for servers and services in the
> DMZ (they have public addresses) , this partcular service is not there (it has a private
>
> ip address). It has it's ip address in the private dns zone entry, from the internal LAN
>
> this isn't an issue.
>
> Hope I haven't confused the issue too much.
>
> Thanks

Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com
mob: 0409113359