[plug] Getting Latest Kernel Version over dialup

raven at themaw.net raven at themaw.net
Tue Apr 26 22:38:10 WST 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Clare Johnstone wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Timothy White wrote:
>> Being on Dialup I don't really want to start downloading 2.6.11.7 when
>> I've only just recently downloaded 2.6.10. So is there an easy way to
>> get upto 2.6.11-7 without downloading the whole thing?
> Hi Tim,
> What you are saying is partly the old bitkeeper ,methods and
> they are being displace by the rapidly changing git method.
> For the time being the easiest is the old fashioned way.
>
> 1. tar up and save the kernel 2.6.10 in case of need.
> 2. find a kernel download e.g.
> ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/kernel/v2.6/
> linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2
> linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2.sign

Or download the patch-2.6.x.(gz|bz2) and patch the kernel you up to the
later version.

For example, you have 2.6.10.
Grab patch-2.6.11.gz and
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.11
gunzip -c patch-2.6.11.gz | patch -p1

Each patch-2.6.x.(gz|bz2) applies to the previous major version like above
2.6.11 applies against a 2.6.10 tree.

There are also patches like patch 2.6.x.7.(gz|bz2).
They are new and I didn't follow the thread discussing them but they are
to small to be anything except patches against the 2.6.x tree. They look
like cumlative patches also so the latest 2.6.x.y should apply to a 2.6.x
tree and bring you upto date.

> Go to the main kernel site www.kernel.org to find how to do the verify
> using the sign/.

And get the above patches.