[plug] Getting Latest Kernel Version over dialup

Clare Johnstone clare at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 26 10:33:27 WST 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Timothy White wrote:
> Being on Dialup I don't really want to start downloading 2.6.11.7 when
> I've only just recently downloaded 2.6.10. So is there an easy way to
> get upto 2.6.11-7 without downloading the whole thing?
Hi Tim,
What you are saying is partly the old bitkeeper ,methods and
they are being displace by the rapidly changing git method.
For the time being the easiest is the old fashioned way.

1. tar up and save the kernel 2.6.10 in case of need.
2. find a kernel download e.g.
ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/kernel/v2.6/
linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2
linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2.sign

Go to the main kernel site www.kernel.org to find how to do the verify
using the sign/.

3.Undo the bz2 with
bunzip2 -c <file>.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -

4.Then read the instructions in the kernel readme on how to apply the
patch.

when patched change the name to 2.6.11 and save the whole before using,
because when you repeat for 2.6.11.7, you will modify it,
and then when you want to do 2.6.11.8 you will need to start from 2.6.11
again.

Hope this helps,
clare