[plug] Config new h/w for RAID XP and Linux

Paul Loring paul at loring.name
Fri Apr 29 07:59:46 WST 2005

That isn't quite right.

With two 160GB hard drives you can have a mixture of RAID 0 and RAID 1, eg,
60GB of drive a and drive b could be RAID 0, ie, 120GB in all stripped across
two drives for performance, and 100GB on each drive mirrowed for redundancy.
The more advanced RAID types like RAID 5 and 10 require 4 drives. RAID 10
basically stripes everything over two drives and then mirrows it all on the
other two.

This Intel approach may be specific to this hardward, and my concern is that it
may not be accessible to Linix.

I'm not sure of the RAID or Linux terminology, but using DOS, I could assume
that O/S would go in their own primary partition in RAID 1, hence I would need
one for XP another for Linux. In the past I have had a partition for
applications and another for data, so backing up to CD was just a copy of the
data partition. The RAID 0 would need a work file or scratch space partition,
would this be sharable between Linux and XP? I don't know the limitations of
sharing files between Linux and XP. Hence I don't know if I would need
duplicate partitions for each O/S, eg, a Linux and a separate XP Games
partition, etc?

Paul