[plug] Evolution Mail Problems

msp pinvest at westnet.com.au
Fri Apr 29 14:32:39 WST 2005

I have a number of computers which periodically get into one of the
following states:

1) Evolution will not send or receive, i.e. does not even try to contact
the server.

2) Evolution locks up whenever "print" is selected.

Both of these are permanent (across restarts) once they happen.

The only sure way I have found to correct either of these is:

mv ~/.evolution ~/.evolution-save
mv ~/.gconf/apps/evolution ~/.gconf/apps/evolution-save
rm -rf /tmp/* ~/tmp/*

run evolution and answer the questions

copy mail folders from the saved copy.

This only happens to some users on a 10-user machine
It also happens on machines elsewhere. On others it has never happened.

I haven't been able to find anything similar to this reported anywhere,
though gnome-print seems to be implicated in the second problem.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Mandrake 10.1, evolution 2.0.1

I tried upgrading to a later evolution but there were missing files
which made it unusable.

thanks

Michael