[plug] [OT] Portable Music Player, Voice Recorder

Mike Roberts mike at mikeroberts.org
Wed Aug 3 09:33:03 WST 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:12:09 +0800
  "Craig Foster" <craig at fostware.net> wrote:

> ________________________________

I agree with Craig here Tim, finding something that fits
all of those requirements is going to be hard. Its kinda
like building a new pc, price, speed, reliability, pick
two.

While in japan a few years ago, my brother picked up an
iRiver 390T for me. It does mp3 and (ogg || wma) depending
on the firmware. It has an FM tuner, you can record voice
or from the fm tuner into mp3 format. It has the ability
to plug in an external microphone, or use the built in.

Looking at the iRiver website however, that specific model
does not appear to be available, however there is similar
models (the 190T for example).

As far as your requirements go, it does not use CF, though
syncing via USB isn't really much of an issue. It has
256Mb on board flash ram. This isn't much when your
putting music oggs onto it, however for recording, I have
easily gotten 4+ hours off of it.

Linux tools are available for syncing most of the products
in the iriver range (http://ifp-driver.sourceforge.net/).

My biggest complaint is that the firmware does not allow
non-recorded audio to be copied off (e.g. you cannot use
it as a portable harddrive). There is a version of the
firmware that supports USB Mass Storage, however using
that removes ogg support.

I know it doesn't do everything you want, but i found it
pretty handy.

Mike.

--
Mike Roberts <mike at mikeroberts.org>