[plug] [OT] Portable Music Player, Voice Recorder

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Wed Aug 3 09:12:09 WST 2005

________________________________

From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au on behalf of Timothy White
Sent: Wed 03-Aug-05 7:32 AM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: [plug] [OT] Portable Music Player, Voice Recorder

Hey. Just a quick ask around. I'm looking for a device that fits the
following description.
A 'mp3' player that:
* plays Ogg Vorbis
* can record voice using Speex (or another good voice only Codec,
preferably open src)
* Uses Compact Flash as it's storage medium
* Preferably can record voice at the same time as playing music
* Would be nice if it also had an FM radio

Also, seeing as I'm a new uni student. If I wanted to record a
lecture, would having the voice recorder sitting next to me (if I'm
fairly close to the front) sufficient or would I need to have it up
closer to the lecturer?

If I can't find a device that does this, then one that just plays ogg
vorbis and uses CF is fine.

Thanks

Tim
p.s. The last requirement is that I can use it under Linux for
transferring music onto/off the device. But I'm sure you guys knew
this was obvious. I don't have Windows!

CF is not required if you have USB, as USB will show up similar to  /dev/sda1 formatted as FAT16, mp3 voice settings are usually fine for lectures, and obviously play mp3. There are some devices (dunno any brand names, but someone here should be able to say one off the top of their head) that will play ogg as well.

I think looking specifically for an ogg / speex / CF system may not be resolvable...

It all comes down to what you can use / make do with....

Craig F.