[plug] First MS vista virus released :-)

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Aug 5 20:43:57 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 20:22 +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 15:51, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > Australia leads the way.   :-)
> >
> > The first virus for the new MS Vista OS has been released it appears.
> > http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=42178662&eid=-219
> >
> > Which idiots said that the only reason virus writers concentrate on MS
> > is the fact that it's everywhere? Vista isn't anywhere yet, and it's
> > already got a virus. :-)
> >
> > Forgive me while I laugh.
> >
> > Imagine considering a shell to be a drawback, rather than a power tool.
> > Boggles my tiny mind.
>
> We spent a fair time at tafe learning how to use VBS to automatically
> add users to ADS from a access db or excel spreadsheet.
>
> These files have a long history of being used to help compromise peoples
> machines so it stands to reason that other scripting languages will have
> security issues as well.
>
> regards,
>
> Chris

I hear you, and I'd be interested to know whether these scripts can do
their magic from a normal user-id, or whether they need an Admin user to
run them. If they need an Admin user, I have no quarrel whatsoever. the
Admin/root user SHOULD be able to simplify his life by doing such
"hacks". It's when the Noddy and Bigears users run VB scripts and do
interesting things to the system that the system is BROKEN. Also things
running without explicitly asking for permission to run are BAD. Idiots
^H People who automatically click "Yes" for "Install me" or "Format hard
drive" are a problem. (as we all know).

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart