[plug] Linux laptops - yeah, they've been done before, but ....

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sat Aug 6 15:46:02 WST 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:30, Timothy White wrote:
> > I'm still waiting to get that back, and in the meantime, I'm using
> > a stationary computer. It's running on an Asus P2B-F motherboard
> > that has been running solidly for five years now. Unfortunately,
> > their laptops don't appear to be built to the same quality
> > standards, and given the nature of their warranty support
> > organisation, which should be tragically obvious to the patient
> > reader who has made it this far, I would stay far, far away from
> > Asus when it comes to laptops.
>
> Why oh why didn't you post this sooner!?!?

I wanted to cool down enough from my experiences with my "dear friend"
Jed to write an account that's not too slanted. I also wanted to give
Asus one last chance to do the right thing. As the laptop is now with
the retailer's wholesaler for repair, at this point I really couldn't
care less about Asus. Sorry if the info would have been useful sooner.

> Actually, on that topic lots of places suck for after sales support.

That's true. I don't know what to recommend other than Asus, because in
all honesty, I'm more or less expecting all manufacturer to be equally
bad. The quality of after sales support is difficult to research and
benchmark before you've made a purchase, so there's little incentive to
spend money on it.

So if there's any advice in here with regards to buying laptops, it's:
don't spend a fortune. You might get better performance, but that
advantage will be obsolete within months. You might get better overall
quality, but it's a game of luck, and you only need one part to fail to
be screwed when it comes to laptops. You definitely, definitely should
not ever pay anything extra for warranty. Consider every purchase
disposable.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/