[plug] USB mounted hard disk

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 7 15:25:52 WST 2005

Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> writes:

>I have a 10GB 2.5" hard disk with linux installed that I take with me
>when visiting my sister in Las Vegas.  It's all set up with my favorite
>stuff and I put it in her PC as hdb.  hdb11 is 1GB fat32.

>I put it in a USB box to recover some data from hdb11.  Windows ME sees
>it ok, but MDK 10.1 cannot.  cat /proc/partitions gives me (in part)
>    8     0    9820440 sda
>    8     1      96358 sda1
>    8     2          1 sda2

>The logical partitions are not detected.

The "SCSI" driver used by the USB interface drivers will only handle
8 partitions per LUN. Sorry.

This is a common gotcha!

Same goes for IDE drives first configured on plain old PATA
interfaces and then swapped onto "RAID" controillers as ordinary
discs. All drivers other than "native" IDE tend to use SCSI.

So don't put more than 8 partitions on a hard drive if it's ever
likely to wander to another interface.

Somebody may have alternative drivers for the USB to e.g. force
higher partitions into the address space of another LUN. But that is
quite likely to break a great deal of other software!