[plug] USB mounted hard disk

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 7 13:55:31 WST 2005

Hi

I have a 10GB 2.5" hard disk with linux installed that I take with me
when visiting my sister in Las Vegas.  It's all set up with my favorite
stuff and I put it in her PC as hdb.  hdb11 is 1GB fat32.

I put it in a USB box to recover some data from hdb11.  Windows ME sees
it ok, but MDK 10.1 cannot.  cat /proc/partitions gives me (in part)
    8     0    9820440 sda
    8     1      96358 sda1
    8     2          1 sda2

The logical partitions are not detected.

# mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable   get me
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

The disk has 9 partitions:  ext2, ext3, swap, and the fat32 hdb11.
Will a new USB driver help, or is it the USB box I'm using?

TIA
Jim