[plug] wireless card problem

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Mon Aug 8 09:34:19 WST 2005

I've had this on several laptops, with Windows XP/2000, but it seems to
be a post driver install problem.  By that I mean, it happens after
something fouls the driver after its been installed.  This is followed
by the WinXP style blue screen flash, with memory/address errors, then
reboot.

I've seen a similar event happen on several laptops under linux.

Unfortunately, talking to d-link, and a sufficient amount of googling,
yielded no results.

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On
Behalf Of W.Kenworthy
Sent: Saturday, 6 August 2005 9:28 PM
To: Plug List
Subject: [plug] wireless card problem

This problem has beaten me so far (been at it some 6 months so far!)

I have a d-link DWL-G650+ PCMCIA wireless card that seems to have a
resource conflict with the dell i8200 laptop I am trying to use it in.
As soon as I insert it, I get a hard lockup - even the cursor stops
flashing if on a text console.  If I pull it out within a few seconds,
the laptop starts running again as if nothing happens.  About once every
20 or more times, it will run and can be used.  The wireless card works
reliable and well in another (different) laptop.  The laptop works fine
with the old orinoco card I am using at the moment.

If I dont remove the card quickly enough, I get a kernel panic as
follows:
___________
CPU: Machine Check Exception: 000000000000004
Bank0: a200000084010400
Kernel Panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
___________

With windows, a similar effect occurs until you install the proper
d-link driver.  None of the linux drivers seem to address this problem
so far, I have narrowed it down to yenta_socket.  If I insert the card
before booting, it will lockup when yenta_socket is inserted.

Ive turned off "probing" in the kernel config but the problem still
occurs.  Is there a way to tell yenta_socket to avoid the memory area
indicated above? (or is there another area involved?) There is a kernel
argument that it can be booted with, but it hasnt worked for me so I
think yeta_socket might act independently and ignore it.

There are a few others on the web who have the same problem with this
laptop and wireless card, but no solutions.

BillK

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au