[plug] Re: [OT] Portable Music Player, Voice Recorder

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Aug 9 12:12:32 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 11:56 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> > Is there a technical reason for wanting it, or is this an anti-MP3 thing based
> > on moral reasoning?
>
> Hmmm, a number of reasons. Better sound and better compression. All my
> music I get off CD's is straight to ogg. And in a way anti MP3 cause I
> can ;)
>
> It's similar to why I'd love speex recording. Cause it sounds better
> than MP3 at a smaller size. And that's not just regurgitating what
> I've read. I tested it for my self. Same thing for Ogg Vorbis.

Ditto.

There are lots of docos around, most a tad out of date, that put forward
a very strong case for Ogg starting in the 160KBit range.  All of mine
are made at quality 5 and their performance to weight ratio is
extraordinarily better than MP3 in my opinion ... though apparently the
LAME MP3 VBR stuff has improved out of site lately ... not interested.

I also make heavy use of FLAC - another open format, which unlike some
alternatives, is easier to pronounce and works on any popular platform
without a fuss.

Ryan